Badaboom is a rhythm game that can do better with some fine tuning. It’s available for Android and can be downloaded here.
Remember combos and tap to the rhythm
- After the combo is tapped and the caveman reacts, give users a way to queue up more combos rather than wait for the interaction to finish.
- While the character responds to the combo, give users a way to enhance the impact by adding simple actions of tapping on the target. Instead of moving only a fixed number of pixels, give the user an option to tap where he wants the caveman to go. After unleashing a lightening attack, give users ability to control the lightening strikes with a slicing finger movement.
Game progression and achievement
- Add more worlds – 9 levels is simply not enough when the first 5 are basically a tutorial
- Give users a way to see their records shown when they are coming to play the level again and celebrate new high scores.
- Provide an indication of score while the level is played
Game Economy and in-app purchases
- Single use items – 2 types of potion: magic now and life
- Upgrades – each magic type can be upgraded for more impact
- Equipment – items the caveman can wear or carry
- The single use items allow users to quickly engage with the economy and are priced low enough for users to buy them after 1-2 sessions
- The Upgrades allow users to evolve the game and keep the interest level up while selling equipment allow users to get invested in the game and can increase long term retention
- Store button placement – there is no way to access the store from within the game, the pause menu or the level screens so the user can’t regularly enter it
- The value of the items is not clear to the user, descriptions are vague instead of explaining how much damage the fire magic will do
- The cost of the upgrades remains 300 bones in all upgrade levels so once users reaches a certain level they can easily buy all the levels and left with nothing more to buy.
- The equipment items seem to have no impact on game play
- There is no screen in the store selling currency packs (bones packs in this game) so users can only buy more coins when they run out and the screen showing them is not very clear on what’s the price or how much you will get.