Most developers in the SOOMLA community rely mostly on organic discovery through the app store. The good thing about getting installs for free is the price. The bad thing about it is usually the quantity. There are many resources about how to get more visibility in search results int he app stores and if you are lucky enough you might also get featured. However, there might be a time where you would want to experiment with advertising a bit. This post is a must read if you are going to do that.
Now, it’s really not a secret any more that Facebook advertising is the best channel for player acquisition in mobile games. Most companies name it as their first channel and some of them claim that more than half of their installs. However, advertising your app or buying users as some call it requires a lot of experience. This post will give you a clear recipe for your first attempt in this field in a way that is relatively bullet proof.
Here is the recipe in bullet points:
- Find the IDFAs of your best users
- Implement Facebook SDK and add revenue events (IAP + Ads)
- Create a custom audience
- Expand the audience by creating a lookalike audience
- Create an ad group and a campaign that promote your game to the best audience
Pulling the IDFA from the device and building your list
- Figuring out what defines a good user – I would recommend 3 lists:
- Users who passed x levels or broke the record y times
- Players who used their collected coins to buy advantages
- People who chose to watch incentivized videos or take some other offer for some ingame coins
- Whales – people who paid in your game
- Build a server solution to collect the IDFAs you want to store.