Google Analytics is a popular choice among app developers. However, Getting LTV using GA is harder than one might think. I created this slideshare to explain how to find the required retention rates and the DAU data in the Google Analytics Dashboard. The slides also show how to use an online calculator tool for the lifetime value calculation.
When calculating your LTV, make sure you are including your ad revenue in the mix. If you need a tool to accurately report ad revenue and ad LTV in different segments, cohorts and traffic sources you should check out SOOMLA.
Calculating LTV with Google Analytics Caption
1. MOBILE APP LTV Calculation Using Google Analytics
2. About Me MD @ Kontera (Blog/Text Monetization) Co-founder / CEO @ SOOMLA (Ad LTV as a Service) Co-founder / VP Sales @ Eyeview (Video Ads & Analytics)
3. About SOOMLA Traceback Flexible integration with your BI and Attribution via S2S APIs Leverages listener SDKs that require zero client side code Unique technology that extracts ad revenue per user from inside the ad-networks
4. LTV Calculation Steps Find your ARPDAU Your key retention rates – where to collect them Use online LTV calculator to get the result
5. FINDING YOUR ARPDAU
6. Aggregated Daily Revenue Monthly Revenue Revenue from Google Play $2,000 Revenue from Apple $4,000 Ad Revenue $3,000 Total $9,000 Daily Revenue – the monthly revenue divided by number of days. In this case it’s $300
7. DAU in GA – Step 1 Go to the “Active Users” view and select a date range of 1 week and “1 Day Active Users”
8. DAU in GA – Step 2 Either collect the data points one by one by copying and pasting or simply download the CSV
9. Averaging DAU DAU Sunday 562 Monday 907 Tuesday 1,071 Wednesday 1,244 Thursday 1,019 Friday 940 Saturday 2,278 Average 1,146 Tip – the DAU usually ﬂuctuates during the week so it’s important to use average of at least one week
10. ARPDAU Calculation ARPDAU – the daily revenue divided by the average daily active users (DAU) Calculation Average Daily Revenue $300 Average DAU 1,146 Total $0.26
11. KEY RETENTION RATES
12. Retention in GA – Step 1 Select “Cohort Analysis” and set the date ﬁlter to “Last 30 days” and the resolution to “by day”
13. Retention in GA – Step 2 Collect the points from the top row – you need day-1, day-7, day-14 and day-30
14. Key Retention Rates Retention Rate Day1 7.37% Day7 3.53% Day14 3.10% Day30 2.70% Note – we took a slightly lower number for Day30. Flurry had only Day28 Retention
15. USING THE CALCULATOR https://blog.soomla.com/2016/04/clv-calculation-modeling-lifetime.html
16. Feeding Retention Data In Use the key retention rates from step 2 in the top part of the LTV calculators
17. Feeding ARPDAU Data In Use the ARPDAU we calculated in step 1 in the bottom part of the calculator
18. The Result The result is shown in the bottom part of the calculator
19. Thank you!